- Excessive social media. I can only speak for me in that while I find social media entertaining, it’s not only a time drain but it can also be a bit of a Debbie Downer. Studies have shown that while intended to bring people together, social media can actually alienate people and make them envious of other’s lives. I’m not saying it’s all bad but for me, there definitely needs to be more of a balance.
- Other people’s opinions of me and what I do. There will be no more holding back who I am and the things I love because I sense it makes others around me uncomfortable. That’s called an unhealthy relationship when you can’t truly be yourself or share your likes with those close to you. That means it’s time to take another look at the relationship.
- Stuff (unnecessary material possessions)
- Learning to say no more. This is a hard one for me y’all. In the past, I’ve said yes to a lot of things that were not necessarily bad but were not the best use of my time or energy. Because of my need to please, fit-in, and be “in the know” (just being transparent here), I’ve taken on things that I know weren’t a good fit for my life and because I took them on for the wrong reasons (see above) they became life/time drains and kept me from pursuing what was really important.
- Time seeking God about His plan for my life and family. Not just doing what I think is right anymore.
- Creating and sticking to a schedule. My days are usually not very organized which can be a disaster for someone who owns your own business and works from home
- Writing more handwritten notes & letters. I love sending and receiving handwritten notes. It’s not a must that people send them to me but I do enjoy receiving them. There’s something so intimate and loving about it. I want to pass the love on.
- Nurturing the relationships, people and things most important to me.
- Pushing past things that have held me back in the past like procrastination, fear of failure, and self-doubt.
- Learning something new. I’m probably most excited about this one! I love learning new crafts. I’ve pledged to take another photography/styling class this year to improve on my ability to photograph tablescapes and creative ideas as well as a calligraphy class simply because I like it and I want to write more letters & notes!
I’m putting some of these goals out there not just to fill a blog post but also for accountability. If you see me slacking in an area,
call me on it remind me of my promise to stay focused this year and beyond.
What about you, do you have a word or resolution for 2014 ? I’d love to know what it is!